An ongoing project aimed at compiling a database of the variety of lifeforms that call Kapas home. Divided into the relevant categories, it will feature pictures coupled with worded descriptions providing viewers with a better understanding and appreciation of what we have and how it all interconnects to form this little paradise.
Fish Invertebrates Coral
Predators & Foragers
- Blacktip Grouper, Epinephelus fasciatus
- Bluespotted Grouper, Cephalopholis cyanostigma
- Longfin Grouper, Epinephelus quoyanus
- Many-Spotted Sweetlip,
- They are often found in caves and crevices of reef. Distinct feature of this fish is its rubbery thick lips. Sweetlips are nocturnal and grow up to 72cm in length and the juviniles has brown with large white blotches. They feed on fish and benthic crustaceans.
- Blackfin Barracuda, Sphyraena qenie
- With torpedo-shaped body - large eyes and mouth - a double emarginate tail fin, Blackfin Barracuda are solitary top predators of reefs that feeds on fish, cephalopods and sometimes shrimps.
- Black-tip Reef Shark, Carcharhinus melanopterus
- Often found nearshore in shallow water coral reefs and intertidal zone, the black-tip reef sharks are active strong swimmers which move alone or in a small group. They feed mainly on fish but also crustaceans, cepholopods and other mollusks.
- Blue-spotted Ribbontail Ray, Taeniura lymma
- Black-backed Butterflyfish, Chaetodon melannotus
- Eight-banded Butterflyfish, Chaetodon octofasciatus
- Latticed Butterflyfish, Chaetodon rafflesi
- Oval-spot Butterflyfish, Chaetodon speculum
- Triangular Butterflyfish, Chaetodon triangulum
- Long-beaked Coralfish, Chelmon rostratus
- Jewelled Blenny, Salarius fasciatus
- Yaeyama Blenny, Ecsenius yaeyamaensis
- Banded Goby, Amblygobious phalaena
- Black-spotted Pufferfish, Arothron nigropunctatus
- Map Pufferfish, Arothron mappa
- Star Pufferfish, Arothron stellatus
- Black-botched Porcupinefish, Diodon liturosus
- Horn-nosed Boxfish, Rhynchostracion nasus
- Razorfish, Aeoliscus strigatus
Photo contributors: Rezza Isa, Christophe Wauters, Garance Lacombe, Ana Robles and Benedikt Hutz